We’re excited to feature this delicious, healthy recipe from Team B4BC surfer Courtney Conlogue as our #TastyTuesdays guest chef today! We love pizza all the time, but when you use all organic ingredients, whole wheat and flax seed pizza dough, and grill it on the BBQ for a hearty, wood-fired taste it’s unbelievable AND nutritious! Flax seeds are full of heart-healthy Omega-3’s, antioxidants, lignans and fiber, which makes this organic, whole grain pizza a perfect choice for healthy living.
*Note: Courtney sources her organic ingredients from Mother’s Market in Costa Mesa, Ca.
Check out her recipe and read what she has to say about it:
I just bought an awesome BBQ and I can cook anything in it! Last night I grilled 2 pizzas in my BBQ. I love a warm pizza fresh out of the oven. It was the perfect way to finish off the day after a fun surf and a visit to the gym.
The pizza dough recipe below will give you enough for 4 pizzas. If you do not use it all you can cover it and store it for a few days in the refrigerator. Once the dough is prepared and on the pizza peel you can add just about anything on your pizza. I enjoy my pizza with sauce, cheese, vegetables chicken, or whatever other healthy ingredients I can find!
- 1 cup warm water (105º to 115ºF)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour plus extra as needed
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cornmeal (or whole wheat flour) for dusting
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1½ cups organic marinara sauce (sundried tomato with basil)
- 12 oz shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp chives
- ½ cup jalapeno peppers (sliced)
- Black olives
- 2 tsp olive oil – rub lightly on top of dough before other toppings
- Pinch of oregano
To Roll and Bake:
Preheat BBQ to 600ºF.
- Using a rolling pin, roll a dough disk into a 10 to 12-inch circle. Lightly dust the pizza peel with whole wheat flour or cornmeal. Place the rolled-out dough onto the pizza peel, top with the desired toppings, and gently slide the dough directly onto the preheated baking stone. Cook for 5 minutes or until the dough is lightly brown and crisp. Peel with cornmeal. Place the rolled-out dough onto the pizza peel, top with the desired
- Pour the water into a liquid measuring cup, add the sugar, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid becomes frothy.
- Pour the flour, flax and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast mixture, and mix on low speed until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix on low. Once blended, knead the dough on low speed for 5 to 6 minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 11⁄2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Form the dough into a ball and, using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each part into a disk and dust with flour.
Makes 4 pizzas. Enjoy!