3 posts tagged water
You don’t usually think about them. You can’t see them. They often hide behind masks of fruit or “vitamins.” They find their way into your diet in any number of forms, and they’re super sneaky. Scared? Us too. What are “they,” you ask?
Liquid calories. **dun dun dunnnn**
Do you start off your day with a fresh glass of 7 teaspoons of sugar? You might, if you have orange juice with your breakfast. Lunch time rolls around, so you enjoy a refreshing pick me up of 10+ teaspoons of sugar. Ew, right? That’s what you’ll be drinking when you down a 12 oz. soda. And what better way to rehydrate after a good workout than with 7-14 teaspoons of sugar? Yeah, put down your sports drink.
It is so easy to overlook the amount of sugar that is in the beverages you drink regularly, but it’s important to take notice. The sugars hiding in your drinks can add hundreds of unnecessary calories to your diet. Controlling your sugar intake is a very important part of weight management, and maintaining a healthy weight is key to reducing your breast cancer risk.
Need more convincing? Check out this eye-opening picture showing you exactly how much sugar is in some beverages.
Hydrate your body in a healthy way, and don’t drink up all of your calories! Think water, water, water. It’s naturally sugar-free (duh…) and costs about nothing. If you can’t do without your flavored drinks and juices, try adding mint, berries, or lemon to sparkling water, and hand squeeze your juice so you know that the only thing going in there is, in fact, juice.
Here’s a picture from our girl Crystal. She mixed up a super refreshing drink with just sparkling water and blueberries!
In honor of World Water Day we wanted to acknowledge the importance of having clean & healthy water in our world and also introduce you to the newest member of our team, surfer & environment ambassador, LIZ CLARK! Liz sails all over the world documenting how our oceans and lives are impacted by plastic use. We’re proud of the work that Liz is doing and invite you to follow her journey here, http://www.swellvoyage.com/2012/03/plastic-coated-paradise/
Finally, spring is here, a season that let’s you hit the beach for a surf sesh one day and do some t-shirt skiing the next! Give a fresh start to this sunny season with a life detox, and do some Spring cleaning, inside and out.
1. It’s time for those heavy winter foods to give way to a fresh crop of fruits and vegetables. Enjoy healthy, bright salads and smoothies, and check out our Tasty Tuesdays every week for some new ideas! Here is a list of 10 Spring Superfoods that are full of breast cancer risk reducing yumminess. Some of our favorites are avocados, artichokes, and blueberries.
2. Water water water! Drink lots of it all day long, especially if you’re going to be taking advantage of the warmer weather with outdoor activities. It hydrates your insides, and makes your skin glow!
3. Speaking of activities, go outside! Swim, hike, bike, skate, whatever! Being active makes you feel good, look good, and stay healthy.
4. Clean up your cleaning routine. Go through your household cleaning products and get rid of the ones with harmful chemicals and carcinogens. They’re bad for you and the environment. Check out The Daily Green for some green cleaning how-to’s using products that you already have around the house.
5. Declutter. That goes for your closet, your desk, your inbox, your makeup bag, and your head! Get organized, and throw away or donate all of the excess knick-knacks that you haven’t used in ages. When you have a clean space, then you can clear your head. Check in with yourself. What are the sources of your stresses and anxieties? Try to rid yourself of mental baggage, and make it a habit to meditate frequently. Here are some tips to get you started.
Following these tips will have you feeling like a ray of sunshine!